Practical Exercises for “Hamlet Will Rock You”
Palketto Stage Theatrical Season 2012/2013
1) Where and when does the story take place and what are the names of the main characters?
It takes place in Denmark in the Middle Ages. The main characters are Hamlet, Ghost, Ophelia, Polunius, Claudius, Gertrude, Laertes and GRAVEDIGGER!!
2) In Act I, Claudius sings “All these things that I’ve done”. What are the things that he has done?
He has killed the king and married his wife!
3) Who is Polonius? What happens to him?Polonius is Ophelia’s father.
He’s killed by Hamlet, while he is standing behind a curtain and eavesdropping in on a conversation between Gertrude and Hamlet.
4) Where is Hamlet sent? How does he come back to Denmark?
He is sent to England and he escapes and comes back by ship.
5) What is the relationship between Hamlet and Claudius? What are Hamlet’s feelings towards Claudius?
Claudius is Hamlet’s stepfather and he’s the dead king’s brother.
6) Who was Gertrude’s first husband?
Gertrude’s first husband was King Hamlet.
7) Hamlet is in love with a beautiful girl. Who is she?
She’s Ophelia, Polonius’ daughter.
8) In Act III, Hamlet says: “It isn’t you I should fight with.” Who is the person he is speaking to? Who should Hamlet fight with?
Hamlet is speaking to Laertes and he should fight with Claudius.
9) How is this kind of tragedy called?
It’s called revenge tragedy.
10) Do you know other tragedies by Shakespeare? Which ones?
“Macbeth”, “Romeo and Juliet”, “Hamlet”… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespearean_tragedy